Monday, February 14, 2011

Expectations? Exceeded!

Yesterday my brother pointed out that I had been gone exactly 11 days (now 12). It feels like more and less all at once. I am very glad to have week one over and done with. It's nice to have a basic understanding of what a typical week looks like, how much homework to expect, what meals are like, etc. I have finally finished making a nice little schedule for myself, which I am really going to need to use to remind me of everything. When I've been able to skype family this last week, it seems like there are some basic universal questions.

What is the food like? Are you making friends? Do you like everyone (in other words, is there anyone you can't stand)? What are your classes like? Is it what you expected?

Well, let's just get all these items out of the way, shall we?

The food is pretty good. Not exactly what one could call healthy, but it's possible to eat healthy if you make an effort. We have a salad bar, which I have been SO thankful for! They serve lots of pork and beef, which isn't really my favorite, but we do have chicken every few days. The bread and desserts and wonderful. Most of the girls complain that they've gained weight from the menu, so I plan on being very careful...I want to come home slenderer (slenderer is a word right?) than when I left.

The people here are wonderful! Mostly American students, but it's amazing how many cultures are represented here, I think it is about 15 different countries. I have have such a hard time with names, so I am working on remembering everyones, but I am getting much better! I have really been able to connect with so many different people at different times in different ways. It's so wonderful to be surrounded by people to love Jesus. My new friend Paula (pronounced with a Spanish accent like "powla"...I think :P) said something the other day that has really stayed with me..."When you become a Christian, you make many friends." What a wonderful thought! As Christians, we have friends all over the world that we don't even know. We have many  activities that allow you to get to know different people. I have a prayer partner for Apologetics, a weekly prayer group, my roomies, my home fellowship group, the MTP group plus out reaches. Different people in each group...by the time I leave I should really know and be friends with everyone here!

The classes are AMAZING! I have only been here a week and I have already learned so much! Although, they are harder that I expected...I think I just conveniently took the "College" part out of "Bible College". So no, I was not really expecting to be academically challenged, but I am SO glad that I have been! I love studying my bible like a text book, and am very excited because I know I have so much to learn. All my classes are really wonderful, but my very favorite is my MPT class. We meet every Thursday morning at our teachers house and pretty much have a bible study/tea party. Last week our regular teacher, Pam Markey, wasn't there, but I keep hearing wonderful things about her, so I know she will be great.

So last Thursday I was sitting in Pam's living room, crowded together with everyone, drinking tea and all of the sudden I just wanted to cry. I felt such peace, contentment, and excitement just to be where I am. I am overwhelmed by this opportunity God has given me and I am so excited to see where He plans to lead me from here. I know that God has a purpose with my life, and I just pray that I would be willing to surrender all for His glory.

So is it what I expected? No, not at all. It's harder, it's stranger, it's different, but it's so much better!

Photo by Sara Blackwell

3 comments:

Mana said...

Love the way you write :)
And I agree with you; Bible College is different that I expected in any way possible but it's so much better because of it.

Callie Denny said...

Thanks Mana!

Unknown said...

I cried when you said you just wanted to cry. Those feelings you described, the peace, contentment, and excitement, are what I wanted for you. I love you, dear friend.