Friday, February 11, 2011

Dream Team

Ok Fans, I know I have been promising to blog, but really have just not had the time. We're headed into the weekend, so I finally get a chance to breath. I have been keeping notes, a sort of, pre-blog journal so I am actually going to publish more than one post at a time right now. I could combine them, but they are separate in my mind, so separate they shall remain.

The Servanthood 199 class is required. We, the students, are basically in charge of the upkeep of the castle. There are quite a few different areas of ministry in which we might be assigned to work for eight hours per week- the coffee shop, the library, the cafeteria, the kitchen, dishes, laundry, security, and finally: housekeeping, i.e. cleaning. Jokingly called the dream team.

To be honest, I was expecting to get assigned to house keeping. Maybe it was a simple defense tactic. Expect the worst and avoid disappointment. Well, I am now an official housekeeper of a castle. Honestly, I really don't mind. I actually like my jobs. The rooms that I get to clean are really beautiful and peaceful places. I can put in my headphones and have some time to myself to just be. Marcsi (pronounced Marchi...I think), the intern who oversees housekeeping make it very hard to have a bad attitude about what we are doing. I used to think that Hannah Moore was the sweetest person I have ever met, but (no offence to Hannah), Marcsi absolutely is. She is humble, kind, gentle, and just really has a heart for serving Jesus. She keeps reminding us that when we are cleaning toilets, mopping hallways, vacuuming out giant spiders from the windowsills, that we are really serving others and therefore serving our Lord. And what is more honorable than that?

Well, Monday was day one of servanthood hours. I was cleaning the "quiet room" which is actually what used to be the old catholic chapel. It's a very pretty room with marble floors and a dome ceiling, not used very often and was pretty much spotless before I even started. My checklist said this room should take me thirty minutes. Piece of cake. There I was, washing the windows and finishing up my vacuuming, when all of the sudden, quiet as a mouse Marcsi peeked in to check on me.

At the very moment she came in, I was surveying my area with pride at what I had accomplished. And then, in her sweet quiet, Hungarian accent, she told me I was not finished. Within ten seconds, she had opened my eyes to the actual dirtiness of the room. All it took was a simple swipe of her finger along the nearest flat surface (the light-switch). She pointed out cobwebs high and dust collected low in the corners. "It is so important."

Really? Removing spiderwebs from a barely used room? Washing already clean windows? Moving couches to get dust from a remote corner in a remote room? This is important? Wasn't what I did enough?

But no, "God looks at all the corners, and we are cleaning them for Jesus"

It only took one day for me to run smack into a wall of my own pride. I never think about being a proud person...my pride hides in the corner and God looks there. I want to clean it for Jesus.

\

3 comments:

Mana said...

Loved the way you wrote this blog and it's awesome to hear what you've learned. That's what I love about Bible College the most... you learn something new every day. It doesn't have to be a huge thing but you learn something new anyway.

Loved doing child care with you, you were really good with Emerie. You have that gentleness for babies which some people don't have and are better with older kids.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here and I'm excited to see what God will do in you and your life while being here! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Callie. Amazing! This itself should be in a devotion book. Thank you for sharing. We miss you very much in Arizona, Love you.

Autumn Klare Wallace said...

Wow, this almost made me want to be apart of the housekeeping team :)
I love this!
and I love you too!
So glad to be in college with you!