Monday, March 15, 2010

Do as the natives do.

Yesterday was hard for me. I woke up in the night (now to nights ago) sick and just felt terrible all day yesterday. It was a good day to be sick though, we didn't have anything to do until our team met at 2:00 for lunch and left the hotel at 4:30 to go start the training. I got to talk to family on google voice chat so I was really happy. I miss home.

The men at the hotel are pretty hostel towards us. The service staff is nice enough, but we are getting lots of blank stares....and some not so blank. This man stared at me so much during lunch yesterday that I wanted to leave. He was talking about me and laughing with the other men at his table. It was very annoying.

I felt pretty bad the whole way to the training, and for about the hours or so, but I started to feel better and I was able to eat the dinner that the men prepared for us. It was really sweet. I can already tell that eventhough the women are older here I am going to enjoy this week more. They understand more engligh, so that already makes it easier to connect, plus we will be sharing lunch with them everyday. Last night for dinner a long table was set for us and we all ate together. The food was pretty good. Better than it is at the hotel. Their was a group of young men that the Paster here is training and he is teaching them to serve woman. Which is just amazing for this culture. They were all our waiters last night, Including Paster James. It was cute to watch Paster James go to clear his wife, Minnie's, plate. She didn't want to let him take it. He picked it up from the side, and she smiled up at him and then picked it up with both hands and passed it over her head to the young man behind her. Paster James kept his one hand on it the whole time. They where both laughing about it. They provided 5 spoons, for us to eat with, but I decided to join the natives and eat with my hands. I'm sure I'll get better at it as the week progresses.  I am excited about thsi conference, I think it's going to be amazing for these woman here.

I miss home and keep counting down the days till we leave. We have 32 hours of travel from the time we leave till we land in phoenix. I'm not to excited about that, but the thought of American/Mexican food gives me courage. Last night my only dream was me making an entire mexican taco dinner. I woke up just a bit hungry to say the least.

Love you all and see you soon!

No comments: