Thursday, May 5, 2011

Almost 23

My twenty-third birthday is in five days. I have decided to break tradition and NOT cry on my birthday, therefore I am allowing myself a short time of melancholy. Right now I am listening to Snow Patrol's "Set Fire to the Third Bar" and when the song is over, then my moment will be over.

I don't know exactly why I ever got into this pattern of grieving over another year passed, but somehow it happened. Even when my year has been incredible, I tend to spend my birthday in the "Christmas day dumps" (you might only understand that reference if you are related to me and had some sort of involvement in a certain traumatizing Christmas pageant). It's not that I even have bad or depressing birthdays (2005 and 2006 excluded), I just get retrospective about my life and allow my thoughts and imagination to run wild with "what ifs" or even "I wish I could go backs". But this year I resolve to end this unhealthy habit once and for all. I am even posting this blog as proof....so if I ever cry on my birthday again, remind me of this.

The song is over, my moment is over. So when I turn 23 I am not going to mourn! I'm going to be happy and celebrate and praise God that I am alive!

1 comment:

amy lee said...

the christmas da-ay dumps! the christmas da-ay dumps! not the measles, not the mumps, i'm way down in the christmas da-e-ay dumps.