Thursday, December 9, 2010

Do You Like Chicken? Well, Grab A Wing and Come On!

Now I know that it is a little early to be talking about this year ending, I mean we still have 22 days left of 2010 and I am sure I still have much to learn before the new year dawns. However, I am feeling nostalgic this morning so I don't really care that it's too early. Therefore I present to you....

Life Lessons of 2010:

1. It is possible to live without my owning a car. Car pooling can be frustrating, but it also creates extra time with family. An extra ten minutes with someone everyday can be really nice!

2. In India I learned that trusting and obeying Christ has nothing to do with personal comfort. I learned sometimes the most beautiful things are surrounded by filth. India is a place of darkness, but it houses some of the most amazing servants of Christ. It was in India that I first began to desire to really study the bible. I was placed in a position of respect and awe by some of the most amazing people I have ever met and I have never felt so undeserving of anything in my life. I long to become worthy of that respect. I also learned that I love garlic na-an and I hate curry, and that ice cream and hard boiled eggs are not the same in every country and should be ordered with caution.

3. Apparently my mom is a foxy babe. Everywhere I have ever gone with just my mom I have had to endure everyone telling her how young she looks and hear people gush about how she doesn't look like she could be the mother of eight. I resent this. She is the mother of eight, and she looks like it to me! She is the only mother I have had and I resent people telling her she doesn't look right for the part. Alfie's (our friend on the flight home from India) infatuation with her really made me feel old... Well, Mr. Alfred German/Furniture Man...my mom IS a party, but one that you'll never be invited too!

4. I love to write! Maybe someday I will write a book.

5. I learned that having alone time is necessary to my mental health. People watching, reading, walks and just sitting quietly are wonderful pastimes. Eating out alone is just as fun as eating out with a friend.

6. It may have taken me 22 years, but I finally discovered mornings. I never new how wonderful the morning time can be, with the proper amount of sleep of course...

7. I remembered that I love school, but don't get good grades because I hate homework. Watching people run to class is always funny. Conversations with fellow students are great inspiration for funny blogs.

8. I realized the hopelessness of people all around me. I don't have to go to another country to be a missionary, there are people who are searching for something to fill the void that only the Lord can fill. I've learned there is more to being a Christian than just being an example. That being a light to the world involves so much for than simply treating people with respect. That showing someone Christ through lifestyle is not enough. This year I woke up to the reality that most of the people around me are headed to a eternal hell and that I know the way to escape, yet I hesitate to help.

9. College students selling magazine subscriptions are way too aggressive. When I say I don't have money to help send you on a European tour, I'm not lying. I don't hate the dying children at Phoenix Children's Hospital, but I don't see how a magazine is going to make that big of a difference in their lives.

10. I learned the necessity of coffee. I went from a coffee hater to an addict. I mostly blame early morning work events and my so called friend, Tracey.

11. I learned some new pick up lines, courtesy of Josh:
You dropped your smile.
Do you like chicken? Well grab a wing and come on!
You like to cook? I love to eat!
Bible college? Well, my name is Joshua David Matthews..all very strong bible men.

12. I've finally gotten to the point where I really don't feel the need to impress anyone. If I don't want to wash my hair, I don't. If I want to take a nap in the grass at school, I do. I repeat outfits. I say what I think. I sing loud and out of tune. It's nice.

13. Perms are better in theory.

14. And most importantly I've learned that God is in control. No matter how hard I try to take over, control or plan my life I never will succeed. The theme of this blog pretty much sums up this entire year.

Jeremiah 29:11
 For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

15. Yes, God knows the plans He has for ME. That's good enough.

3 comments:

Jamie Bearden said...

You crack me up Lady! I wish I was as cute as your mother of eight and I only have two!!

Anonymous said...

Editor's Notes: 1. "hard boiled eggs" really should be hyphenated as hard-boiled. 2. in a sentence containing a series such as "People watching, reading, walks and just sitting quietly... really should always have a comma between the last series and the word 'and'...i.e. people watching, reading, walks, and just sitting quietly...

Bethany K. said...

Callie! This is awesome! You should definitely write a book someday. =D

Praying,
Bethany