Thursday, November 18, 2010

Old vs. New (A Little Movie Trivia)

Last night I went to the pre-screening of  How Do You Know with my friend Dianne. I am contractually sworn to confidentiality about the contents of the movie, so don't expect me to tell you about it. To quote the document I signed "serious injury, either physically or fiscally" will occur if I break my contract. So although I cannot reveal the contents of the movie, I believe I can say that it prompted a very serious thought process for the drive home; The evolution of movies over time and my personal reaction.

I grew up watching old movies and I love them...but have they negatively effected my view of the modern world? Is it possible that life was really as pure and musical and magical as the early screen depicted it to be? Of course not! I know that to be true, yet I still find myself longing for the "good old days" of the world that ended long before my existence.

Of course, I have always been a fan of love stories. (Is it just me, or have the heroines in the movies gradually gotten older and older? Not that there isn't a fair share of old movies that have old people falling in love...but really, who wants to watch grey and wrinkled Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey locking lips? Or if we want to get even uglier, Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart falling in love in the middle of a dirty river while covered in leeches? Although, the modern day version is even worse....because it can't get worse than Diane Keaton and Jack Nickelson. Side note, love stories about old people are so gross...not because old people don't deserve love, but because they have such thin lips. Thin lip kisses should never be shown on the big screen...)

Maybe I should get back to my original train of thought so I can get to the point...

I no longer qualify for my love story dream. Why? Because I am too old. If a movie is ever going to be made about my love story it will have to be set in modern times. Sigh. Because back in the day being 22 years old and unmarried automatically give you the title of a spinster. I'm not even sure what the definition of a modern day spinster is...but I would guess you would need to be in your late 60's possibly early 70's to be disgraced with earn that title. Yes, in my movie, I would be cast as the career woman who suddenly found herself rapidly approaching middle age. I would realize that I needed to find love before my child bearing days ended, I would possibly decide to go on a journey to find myself, or maybe in a act of desperation I would put someone in a coma in order to become engaged.

I know that I have blogged a few times about my singleness. Maybe because I've always been single. I told someone at work the other day that I have never had a boyfriend. His response? "Do you like girls?" Ha! I confuse the modern world, which is why I feel that I belong somewhere in the horse-and-buggy, medieval, gothic, old-world, victorian, western realm.

Maybe I need to to buy a Delorean or locate a space/time continuum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I love being single. Right now, I wouldn't have it any other way. When I talk blog about my singleness I am not complaining. It's just part of my life, and I think about it. I'm content where God has me and am not looking for encouraging advice.

2 comments:

Jamie Bearden said...

You are awesome!! I absolutely loved opening all the links and thinking maybe when I get to phoenix we need a movie marathon because I have seen very few of these movies!!!!

Anonymous said...

encouraging advice