Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Touristy Weekend!


Last Sunday I went to Pécs, a nearby city, with Imre (the schools head chef), Jemma (one of the interns), and Maks (a fellow student). We had Friday off school and most of the students were going away for the long weekend so we decided we all needed to do something fun. It was an amazing day! Hopefully I was able to capture the spirit in my pictures. Enjoy!


I got to drive! It was a little scary because all the signs are in Hungarian, but I think I did ok...well, up until the last moment. We were getting into the city so I was pulling over to switch drivers and I'm pretty sure we almost died. Let's just say when pulling off into a small dirt side area, it is wise to slow down before pulling off the road. Also, strange metal ditches should be avoided. 













We dropped Maks off to spend the day with his brother who is serving as a missionary there, then set off for a preliminary tour of the city. Imre is from Pécs, so we got to see the city through the eyes of local. After our morning walk we went to the Calvary Chapel that is there and visited with the pastor and his wife. They just adopted a adorable Gypsy baby. She is a month old and only about six pounds! I fell in love with little Esther! I'd really love to go back and work with the church there. Maybe next semester I will be go there for one of my outreaches. 



 (She was so tiny!)

After that, we up the mountain to go and see the view and eat lunch. It was breathtaking! We walked a lot...up hill, down hill, up again, down again...the whole day was walking! But it was totally worth it. It was actually really nice to be active and outside all day. We ate lunch in the top of the tower (it's the tallest point in the city). 









Then we went to the creepiest little clown park...but don't worry...we didn't go in! They could make a movie about this place...





But we survived walking past it and the view was worth it!








(I found my dream house...)

Next we headed off to see Jesus....have more coffee...watch a cute old man eat lunch...Ninja fight on a cliff...and laugh a lot.


















Then we went back down to the walking street where we walked some more, added our own personal monogrammed lock (I.J.C.) to the lock wall, ate the worlds best ice cream, took some classic jumping shots, Jemma had her face painted, and then walked some more! 



















Oh, and we also went to mass...







(the white robe dude...[the priest?] saw me taking pictures...so I pretended to pray)

We were definitely the prettiest tourists that Pécs has ever seen!



Then, for the perfect finish to our perfect day...we picked up Maks, got some Gyros to-go, and headed back up the mountain for dinner with a view!









All in all, it was a pretty fantastic day.


1 comment:

drea said...

WOW!!!! What a FANTASTIC day!!! I am thinking I could live right there in the middle of that little town! Everything was so beautiful and you did a great job of touring us around. Thank you for the pictures and fun day...whew I am exhausted from all the walking. Gonna go to bed.
Love you girl.