Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day (Kind Of)

Today is the first day of school. All students know the first class is (at least in community college) a total waste of time. After going around the room and introducing yourself  ("Hi, my name is Stan  I'm here because I love to learn , let's see, something about myself, I love cats! ") you then have to sit there and hear the instructor read the syllabus (which you are perfectly capable of reading yourself), after 20 minutes of torture you are dismissed early, only to have to wait an hour and twenty minutes for the next class, which is the exact same thing.
Luckily, I had an out. Something thing even the strictest attendance gurus allow as a good reason to miss a day of nonsense. 


Jury Duty.  


Yes, I was EXCITED to receive my summons. I've been waiting for this since the day I registered to vote! Even now that I am here, sitting and pretty much doing nothing, I am still excited. I hope I get called for a panel. If I do, I'm sure all my faithful readers (if there are any) will hear alll about it.


Which brings me to my next topic - I will be blogging more. As I was saying before, I started school again. I haven't been in school for two years now, not since I graduated with my AAS (Associates in Applied Science). I have always loved school, not homework or tests, but learning and being in a classroom. It's one thing I have really missed, but I didn't want to get student loans for a university when I have no idea what I even want to study. However, the need for (free) health insurance has recently convinced me I ought to go back to school. So this time, it's about fun. What I want to learn, not what someone decided I need in order to graduate. What classes am I taking? Well, I'm glad you asked.  


ENG 217 - Personal & Exploratory Writing, 
ART 161 - Ceramics I, 
and  
DAN 131 - Ballet I. 


I plan on having a great semester! I already picked up my syllabus for the writing class, and my first "writing exercise" is as follows: 
"Pick one of the following prompts: 
1)Using vivid words and details, describe your personality. 
2)What is the best thing you ever did? (Most Honorable? Most effective? Most fun? 
3)If your mind where a house, what would it look like?"


I love creative writing, so I am especially excited for this class. I plan on using my blog for homework practice, so stay tuned, I'm sure I will be able to draw from my ballet and ceramics classes for funny material!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm 28 and have NEVER gotten summoned for jury duty. I've always wanted to!! And my husband gets summoned all the time and has to get out of it because he owns his own company. (sigh) the injustice!! I hope you have fun!

Alicia Colburn said...

I got summoned once and really wanted to go but I had to work :( So I'm hoping that I will get to go again someday and that I will be involved in a crazy case... I'm going back to school this semester too (full time :/ ) but super excited and I figured the same thing... that I would use my blog to get some of my thoughts flowing... I think we are a lot a like Callie Denny -- Lucky you :) So I'm excited to see your blogs because they make me smile...